Abstract

 

This study aims to determine the effect of physical proof of warranty and customer satisfaction to savers in PD BPR BKK Branch Purworedjo Bener. In this study using a Likert scale data analysis methods , faliditas test and reliability test , hypothesis testing , product moment correlation , multiple linear regression, the coefficient of determination , t test and F test.

Based on the analysis of the data obtained the following results: From the calculations it is known that the product moment correlation coefficient correlation of 0.608 bail variable means variable rate relationship and the guarantee of customer satisfaction is strong , and it is known that the value of the correlation coefficient variable physical evidence and customer satisfaction is the 0681 means that the variable relationship of physical evidence and customer satisfaction is strong. Adjusted R Square (R²) = 0.653 which means that 56.3 % customer satisfaction is happening can be explained by the variable guarantees and physical evidence, while the remaining 43.7 % earn contributions of other factors , namely responsiveness, caring , reliability and other factors . Testing the hypothesis t test variables obtained bail t is greater than t table (2.012) which means that Ho is rejected Ha thereby partially accepted there is a positive and significant effect of the variable on customer satisfaction guarantee . And of testing the variable t test physical evidence obtained t is greater than t table (2.012) which means that Ho is rejected Ha thereby partially accepted there is a positive and significant effect between variables of physical evidence on customer satisfaction . F is obtained from F test count is greater than the F table (3.20) which means that Ho is rejected Ha received, which means there is simultaneously a positive and significant effect between assurance and physical evidence on customer satisfaction savers in PD BPR BKK Branch Purworedjo Bener .


Keywords : assurance , tangibles, customer satisfaction